Monday, November 20, 2006

First break in weeks!

The next couple of days I spent pretty much in bed as I was so tired after going non-stop for the last couple of weeks. I also got a small cold as well so I was in need of some heavy rest time. I visited Yamaguchi Shugetsu again to pick up a flute I let him take a look at. Also took lots of photos of flutes I will be selling for him on my website. Last night I visited Kobayashi Ichijo at his place in Osaka and passed him my 2.4 that he made to make some adjustments to it and clean it up a little from the work I did on it. He`ll send it back to Canada when he`s done some time at the beginning of December. It was very nice to see him again. The last time I saw him was something like 7 years ago when my mother came with me. I also took some photos of his flutes which I will be advertising on the Bamboo-in website.

Today everyone had a group workshop with Toshimitsu Ishikawa which they enjoyed very much. They went through basic blowing techniques, then went through two honkyoku Honshirabe, Tamuke; and three lovely duets: Kojo no Tsuki, Furusato, and Ai Take no Fu. After the workshop, Matheus and John Paul had private lessons then the three of us went to the Tozan Ryu House (Kaikan) since Matheus had to deliver a present for his teacher in Brazil to Tenzan-san the present Chikurin of Tozan-ryu. We took the train to Kita-oji station then took a taxi to Tozan Ryu Kaikan. We arrive just before closing and Tenzan-san was right in front waiting for us. He was much younger than I expected. 42 years old. He gave us a quick tour of the Kaikan showing us many photos of Nakao Tozan in his early days, and all the Japanese music he transcribed in to western notations; his first beginners book he wrote for students, and the shakuhachi case and suitcase he used while on his various travels throughout Japan, Asia, and Russia in the early 20th century. I visited Tozan Kaikan back in 1992 when I first was studying shakuhachi with Tozan ryu so it was very interesting to return to this place after 15 years!

Tomorrow is our last day in Kyoto. We will spend the whole day shopping. Toji market will be our first target. Then we`ll go to the shinto clothing store then back to Sannenzaka to do some last minute shopping and say goodbye to Reiko and Fujie-san at Hakuba! Then off to Aichi-ken. Then Nagano for bamboo harvesting!!!!!

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com
ramos@dccnet.com

No comments: