Friday, November 03, 2006

Starting in Fukuoka

The flight from Vancouver was a gruelling 10 hours then we had a 5 hour stopover in Tokyo, Narita Airport. Then a 1.5 hour flight to Fukuoka. Then a 14 minute train ride to Hakata Station. Then a 10 minute walk to traditional Japanese inn. Jane, Terry, and Oliver were already there when we arrived. After our initial introductions, we all (except Jane) donned our yukata (Japanese bath robes) and entered the ofuro (bath) and had a long soak in the healing waters. After that we crashed in to our futon. I thought I was just fall deep into sleep but I was still wired from the electric energy of excitement of being in Japan once again with on this most unique and fascinating tour. I managed to get in a few hours of deep sleep and erotic dreams.

We all got up at 6 am and meditated for an hour with 10 minutes of ro buki then had a delicious Japanese breakfast of boiled tofu, seaweed, rice, fish, pickled vegetables, boiled egg, and some small sliced sausages.

Later that morning we visited Saikoji (Hakata Iccchoken) where we spent time with Akira Genmyo and played shakuhachi in front of the alter of buddha. I started with Azuma Jishi and Kumoi Jishi, pieces directly coming from Saikoji. John Paul played Tamuke. Matheus and Oliver played improvisations. Then we all played Honshirabe together. Genmyo ended it with Azuma Jishi and Kumoi Jishi. It was a wonderful connection and deeply moving full circle offering for me, playing these pieces at the temple of its origin, and having Genmyo responding to me with his play of them. I was so moved I gave him the flute I played the pieces on as a gesture of gratitude. The flute was made from madake that was grown on the Sunshine Coast and the mouthpiece made of mastadon ivory.

To be continued.......

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com
ramos@dccnet.com

No comments: